Thursday 5 May 2016



Leeds College of Art
BA (Hons) ILLUSTRATION
Level
04
OUIL401 Context of Practice
Credits
20
End of Module Self Evaluation

NAME
Christopher Cooper



1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

The main skill I have developed is my essay writing and extract information in an academic manner from a series of varying sources such as images and essays. Given that I haven't written an essay since sixth form I felt a little rusty in terms using the academic process therefore I found it highly useful if not stressful at times putting together a fully referenced essay with an underlying and coherent thesis.

2. What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your practical outcomes?

Given that there was no final outcome I have developed an approach whereby I let research and think take me down various different avenues, some unexpected and useful others of which are complete dead ends. This allows for a more over arching visual exploration of I given theme and for connections to be drawn between different areas that you otherwise would not have been able to make.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I think the relationship between my intent for studio brief 2 that and the work itself was probably my strongest point. This is because I feel it very clearly and effectively communicated my underlying theme of conformity that I had set out in my visual response proposal. This was partly due to the variety of different methods I used with a reductive process of repeat image making being the most successful. Furthermore the research I conducted into different forms of conformity and the scientific thinking behind it greatly informed the images which no doubt led to their effective communication of the given theme.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

My main weakness was my lack of consistent blogging coupled with a lack of varied and in depth research for studio brief 2. For example, although I read and referenced a fair amount of material for studio brief 1 had a blogged all the different sources as I went along I think my final result would have been far better constructed and thoughtful in its argument. In a similar manner had I undergone a wider variety of research for studio brief 2 I think the successes that I did achieved would have been furthered and led to a much more interesting and varied visual response.

5. Identify five things that you feel will benefit you during next years Context of Practice module?

Blogging more consistently and in particular blogging any academic sources and any subsequent deconstruction of them on my part.

Being more varied and ambitious in my forms of research which will lead to more interesting and excting results with stronger factual grounding.

Better spread the work load over the year so that it isn't as stressful and in turn can allow me to better think through what it is I am trying to achieve with this module.

The importance of choosing a subject you are interested in. Although I could have researched it more effectively I was genuinely interested in the underlying theme of conformity in studio brief 2 which resulted in me being able to immerse myself in the process of a visual response much more effectively.

The academic process, particularly deconstructing and analysing texts effectively to support your argument through the use of triangulation, paraphrasing and close reading as these are the fundamental skills required to produce an effect and coherent academic thesis.


6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance



X

Punctuality



X

Motivation


X


Commitment

X



Quantity of work produced

X



Quality of work produced

X



Contribution to the group

X



The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self-evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment