Thursday 5 May 2016

Visual Development: Change in approach

Given my previous developments I decided to produce a series of images in a much more reductive and shape based manner depicting large scale crowds of individuals conforming to the activities of others much like in the various sourced images. This has resulted in a series of much more uniform and hypnotic images with a more abstract, pattern like visual aesthetic which I had outlined in my previous post. 

I think it was also effective conceptually to make the images very monotonous in there appearance, depicting very mundane every day tasks that solely tasks such as queuing that are utterly reliant of social compliance. This monotonous feel I tried to further exaggerate by using mainly greys and blacks as well as further abstracting the images to basic shapes and leaving negative space to describe certain features. This I feel has once again furthered the idea of individual thought/independence and in essence autonomy being over ruled by our pre disposition to conform to a group.






















With all this considered I then desired to explore other mundane activities as the every day commute to work/education. I think this in particular could be a good avenue to explore as, despite its dreary, monotonous nature than many complain about, it is something that more or less or members of  society engage. Therefore it is interesting to how, despite the importance we give it, the idea of a 9-5 job is some thing once again based upon ideas of both compliance and integration given our inherent needs to both fit it and be accepted as well as have our own place and function within society.



















No comments:

Post a Comment